Who's Your Agent?®Quick Start
Quick Start: Take Control and Make a Plan!
Who's Your Agent? Quick Start makes it quick, free and easy to take control of your health care decisions and start to make your own health care plan. Just follow the steps below. Share your completed document with your health care providers to get the best possible care right now and over your lifetime.
Quick Start. Easy as 1-2-3!
1. Appoint a Health Care Agent in a Health Care Proxy.
- Start your plan by filling out a Health Care Proxy, (13 languages). Click here.
- Are you able to choose a trusted person to be your Health Care Agent or Agent?
- You appoint your Agent in a Health Care Proxy.
- Your Agent has the authority to carry out your wishes and make medical decisions on your behalf, even for a short while you recover.
- Download "I Have a Health Care Proxy" Wallet Card, (4 languages). Click here.
- The wallet card helps to contact your Health Care Agent in case of emergency.
2. No Agent? No Problem. Start with a Personal Directive (Living Will).
- Not everyone can appoint a Health Care Agent. That's OK.
- For example, a person may not have the capacity/ability to appoint an Agent, or there may be no one available to appoint, or it may be a culturally unacceptable practice.
- Your concerns & choices matter!
- Start your plan by filling out a Personal Directive. (5 Languages) Click here.
- Write down what's important to you and give instructions about the care you want.
- If you have an Agent, fill out the Personal Directive to give instructions to your Agent.
3. Share your documents. Get good care now and over your lifetime.
- Talking about your concerns and care choices can be hard to do. Completing even one document can help you start a conversation with your family and health care providers.
- Talk with your health care provider about:
- how you are feeling today to get good care right now;
- your care goals and choices to plan for future care;
- adding your document(s) to your medical record.
- Download 5 Things to Talk About With Your Care Providers, a handy guide. Click here.
Who's Your Agent? Quick Start is the Honoring Choices MA signature Who's Your Agent? Program, which includes the 3-step process in our popular Getting Started Tool Kit. The tool kit offers a free downloadable MA Health Care Proxy, Personal Directive (Living Will), and 5 Things to Talk About Guide. (English). The tool kit is used statewide by the Honoring Choices Partners and trained Health Care Planning Ambassadors to engage adults in planning discussions and connect adults to care in their community.
Here are other quick links to start your plan:
- "I Have a Health Care Proxy" wallet card (pictured here). Click here.
- Getting Started Tool Kit includes the Quick Start 3 step process and free documents:
- Health Care Proxy, Personal Directive, 5 Things to Talk About guide. Click here.
- Multi-lingual planning documents and tools. Click here.
- Next Step Tool Kit which includes:
- information on additional documents and discussion guides to build on your plan. Click here.
Quick Start for HCM Partners and Care Providers
Who's Your Agent? Quick Start opens the door to a more inclusive and responsive way to help all adults start to make a plan, whether they are able to choose a Health Care Agent or not.
Quick Start is based on our structured approach to health care planning and popular Getting Started Took Kit. We offer multi-lingual documents to increase access to planning for adults in your community. Importantly, the Honoring Choices Partners consistently report that completing even one document empowers adults to start a goals of care conversation with their provider which can positively impact an adult's current health outcomes.
Let's help every adult make a plan. As a health care provider or organization you can-
- Share Quick Start with your staff, and include in your Fall/Winter programs for and adults and families in your community;
- Place the Quick Start links on your website, citing the Honoring Choices webpage;
- Download the sample flyer to use as is or condense for your newsletters;
- Become an Honoring Choices Partner! It's no cost. We can tailor the full Who's Your Agent? Program to incorporate easily into your workflow. It's easy to do- just email Ellen DiPaola, President, email@example.com