Who's Your Agent?®Quick Start
Take Control and Make a Plan!
Quick Start makes it quick, free and easy to take control of your health care decisions and start to make your own health care plan.
Just download and print the Getting Started Tool Kit. Click HERE.
Watch the 5 minute Quick Start video below. It reviews the Getting Started Tool Kit and the 3 easy steps to complete a MA Health Care Proxy, complete a Personal Directive (Living Will), and put your plan into action with your health care providers.
Watch the 5 Minute Quick Start Video!
Quick Start Your Plan.
It's as easy as 1-2-3!
Our signature Who's Your Agent?® Program's Getting Started Tool Kit includes the three steps below. You can watch the video or read the following to download individual tools in the video. The Getting Started Tool Kit is used widely by consumers statewide. The Honoring Choices Partners train their staff as Health Care Planning Ambassadors. Ambassadors use the tool kit to engage adults in planning discussions and connect adults to care in their community.
Step 1. Choose a Health Care Agent. Compete a Health Care Proxy.
- Choose a person you trust to be your Health Care Agent or Agent
- Your Agent has the power to make medical decisions and carry out your wishes for the kind of care you want, if you are not able to make decisions yourself.
- Appoint your Agent in a Health Care Proxy document. You can do-it-yourself. (14 languages)
- Give a copy to your Health Care Agent, and anyone else you choose.
- Make you own "I Have a Health Care Proxy" Wallet Card (4 languages).
- Not sure who to choose? NO AGENT? NO PROBLEM! Just start your plan with Step 2.
Step 2. Tell others what you want for care. Complete a Personal Directive (Living Will).
- Think about what's important to you and the kind of care you want if you get sick or injured.
- Talk with your family or support persons about your care choices and how they can help.
- Write down your instructions for care in a Personal Directive, also called a Living Will (5 Languages)
- Give a copy to your Health Care Agent. If you have not chosen an Agent, share with your support persons and health care provider.
Step 3. Talk with your health provider. Share your plan to get good care today and over your lifetime.
- Start a conversation with your health care provider about:
- how you are feeling and your goals to get good care today;
- what's ahead for you and your goals to get good care over your lifetime.
- Share your documents. Place documents in your medical record to revisit and update over time.
- Use 5 Things to Talk About With Your Care Providers, a handy discussion guide.
Quick Start Tools To Make Your Plan
- Getting Started Tool Kit includes the Quick Start 3 step process and free documents:
- Health Care Proxy, Personal Directive, 5 Things to Talk About guide.
- Multi-lingual planning documents and tools.
- "I Have a Health Care Proxy" wallet card (pictured here).
- Have a Health Care Proxy? Make your own wallet card to contact your health Care Agent in case of emergency.
- Next Step Tool Kit to build and update your plan which includes:
- Information on additional documents: Durable Power of Attorney, Comfort Care/Do Not Resuscitate form, MOLST-Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment.
- Start a conversation about your chronic illness or serious illness care.
- Use our handy discussion guides 5 Things to Talk About: Managing Chronic Illness and Living With Serious Illness.
Quick Start for HCM Partners and Care Providers
Who's Your Agent? Quick Start opens the door to a more inclusive and responsive way to help all adults start to make a plan, whether or not they are able to choose a Health Care Agent, and engage in goals of care conversations.
Quick Start is based on our structured approach to health care planning and popular Getting Started Took Kit. We offer multi-lingual documents to increase access to planning for adults in your community.
Completing even one document empowers adults to start a goals of care conversation with their provider which can positively impact an adult's current health outcomes.
Let's help every adult make a plan. As a health care provider or organization you can-
- Share Quick Start with your staff, and include in your Fall/Winter programs for and adults and families in your community;
- Place the Quick Start links on your website, citing the Honoring Choices webpage;
- Download the sample flyer to use as is or condense for your newsletters;
- Become an Honoring Choices Partner! Join the growing network of hundreds of health care and community providers. It's no cost. We can tailor the Who's Your Agent? Program to incorporate easily into your workflow. Email Ellen DiPaola, President, email@example.com