Quick Start: Take Control. Make Your Plan!
Appoint a Health Care Agent in a Health Care Proxy.
No Agent? No problem — just start your plan with a Personal Directive.
Your Health Care. Your Choice.
It's more important than ever! Make a plan for better care over your lifetime.
Take Control of Your Health Care
Starting at 18 years old, you can take control of your health care decisions to get the best possible care today and over your lifetime.
Honoring Choices Massachusetts (HCM) empowers adults to make a personal plan, and supports health care providers to work in partnership with adults to match good care to their goals, values and choices.
Make Your Own Plan
Our signature Who’s Your Agent?® Program provides a trusted source of information based on MA law, easy to use tool kits and multilingual planning documents.
Get Help: Meet our Amazing Partner Network
The Honoring Choices Community Partners, engage adults in planning conversations and help connect adults to needed care and services in their community.
Transform Health Care Planning. Advance Health Equity
Our health care planning process is transforming how we plan to receive timely care, while taking action to improve policies and programs to advance health equity.
Make Your Own Plan
Honoring Choices provides a simple structured approach to health care planning which uses an inclusive process and our signature Who’s Your Agent?® Program. Consumers and health care providers use the same structured approach to start early and on-going conversations, in order to access timely care over an adult's lifetime.
Our Health Care Planning Process is not just about planning for care at the end of life, but getting good care that honors your care choices all through your life. It's both:
- Everyday Care Planning, to talk with your health care providers about your goals to stay healthy and improve well-being; and,
- Advance Care Planning, to write down your goals and care choices in the 5 MA planning documents which communicate your choices if you are not able to yourself.
Our signature Who’s Your Agent?® Program provides a trusted source of comprehensive health care planning information and two easy to use tool kits:
Choose a trusted person to be your Health Care Agent (Agent). Appoint your Agent in a legal document called a Health Care Proxy.
Write down your instructions for the care you want and do not want, what you value most, and any personal messages in a document called a Personal Directive or Living Will.
Use our handy discussion guide to talk about your care goals and treatment choices to stay healthy and live well over your lifetime.
Get Help: Meet the Partners
Our Partners help adults make a plan and connect to care in their community.
The Honoring Choices MA (HCM) Partners Network is a collaborative team of hundreds of health care providers, local community organizations, and state and membership organizations and consumers.
- The Community Partners, Alliance Partners and New England Partners below are care providers and community professionals helping to standardize health care planning across the Commonwealth and beyond.
- The Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group below elevates the voice of adults, families, caregivers and advocates to inform and guide program and policy change.
Transform Health Care Planning. Advance Healthy Equity.
Honoring Choices Massachusetts (HCM) is changing the way we engage in health care planning to get good care TODAY and everyday over your lifetime.
Guided by the consumer voices and the collective expertise of the HCM Partners, we are taking action to transform the planning process to improve health outcomes, and address policies and programs to advance health equity. Here's are some of our exciting initiatives-
- Health Care Planning Roadmap: A Guide to Planning at Every Phase of Health
- A trusted source of curated information based on MA law, which includes free downloadable tools and links to useful resources.
- Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group
- Elevating the consumer voice to help set the agenda for meaningful change. Everyone is welcome!
- Ensuring Protections & Improving Care for Seriously Ill Adults
- Serious Illness MOLST Challenge. See Timeline and the latest progress.
- Guardianship - Serious Illness MOLST Advisory Group.
Click on the blue buttons to read more!