Connect: Put Your Plan into Action
Talk with your doctors & care providers to align the best possible care to your goals, values and choices. You can start a discussion with these simple questions or use the "5 Things to Talk About" discussion guides below.
- "Here's how I'm feeling today"... to promote your everyday health
- "What's ahead for me?"... to plan for future care, and
- "Here are my goals for care — how can we get there?"... to match the best possible care to your choices.
"5 Things To Talk About ..." Discussion Guides
Consumers & Care Providers can have high-quality effective discussions
5 Things to Talk About is a series of handy health care planning discussion guides. Consumers and care providers can use these guides to start a discussion, and build on their discussions at every phase of health. Using the guides can make consumer-care providers discussions more effective and meaningful, and a routine part of every care provider visit.
Here's how it works:
- Either a Consumer (adult, family member, agent, guardian) or a Doctor or Care Provider can start a planning discussion
- The Consumer Guides and the Care Provider Guides mirror each other — they have the same topics and questions
- The same topics and questions appear in all 4 guides to make it easy to pick up and build on your discussions
- The guides are based on an adult's "5 Top Rights" for care planning
- To start a discussion — Select a guide. Choose one question that's important to you from the discussion guide
- Then build on your discussions — ask a few more questions — and make a plan of your care goals, values and care choices
- Record your care goals in the medical record to review at your next visit
To Get Started: Download the Everyday Care Guide or any guide you like.