Make Your Own Plan
Our Who's Your Agent?® Program makes it easy to do!
Everyone's on a health care journey to get better care. Every journey needs a health care plan.
Our signature Who's Your Agent Program?® is helping adults across the Commonwealth make a personal health care plan and work in partnership with their health care providers to get good care now and over their lifetime.
This is an overview of our Who's Your Agent?® Program. Consumers and health care providers use the same program for early and effective conversations, and to connect adults to needed care and services in their community.
Health Care Planning: Things to Know Before You Start
A Simple, Structured Approach to Care Planning
Before you start to filling out your planning documents, take a moment to think about where you are on your health care journey. What do you need to know to make a plan and get better care? Our Who's Your Agent?® Program provides a simple structured approach to health care planning, both an everyday care planning and advance care planning. View commonly asked questions below.
Think about care that's right for you. Get information to make care choices and share with those important to you.
Write down your care choices in a personal health care plan using the Getting Started and Next Steps Tool Kits.
Talk with your doctors & health care providers to get the best possible care that matches your goals, values & care choices.
Commonly Asked Questions
Here's some important information about health care planning in Massachusetts.
Who's Your Agent?® Program
Our signature Who's Your Agent? Program has everything you need to make a personal plan and work in partnership with your care providers. It's a simple structured health care planning approach designed for both consumers and care providers. See Resources.
For adults, families, and all consumers, you can do-it-yourself.
- Who's Your Agent? Quick Start - Start to make your own plan and talk with your providers to get good care.
- Health Care Planning Roadmap - make a lifelong plan using the 5 MA Planning Documents
- Easy Tool Kits: We divided the 5 MA documents into 2 easy tool kits, Getting Started and Next Steps;
- Multi-lingual Documents and Tools: Download a free Health Care Proxy and Personal Directive in multiple languages; and "I Have a Health Care Proxy" Wallet Card;
- Ways to Create & Store Documents: View options to complete, store and share your documents;
- Information and Resources on many care planning topics
- Webinars for Consumer Groups: learn how to make a plan with the Getting Started Tool Kit.
- Raise Your Voice: Join the Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group to drive meaningful change to get better care.
For health care providers and community professional and groups:
- Access to same programs and tools for consumers for early and effective planning conversations.
- Help to standardize care planning in your organization community, and across the Commonwealth
- Strengthen your Workflow: Tailor Who's Your Agent? Program to incorporate easily into your workflow
- Staff training: Learn how to confidently start a discussion to help adults make a plan and connect to local care.
- Promote Your Work on Honoring Choices Partner Network, and on blogs, newsletters.
5 Massachusetts Care Planning Documents
Every state has different laws and different planning documents. These are the planning documents we use in Massachusetts. Learn about the documents here and use the tool kits below to make your plan.
Health Care Proxy
Personal Directive (Living Will)
Durable Power of Attorney
Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment
Comfort Care / Do Not Resuscitate Order
Getting Started Tool Kit
1. Who's Your Agent?
Choose a Health Care Agent in a Health Care Proxy.
2. What Matters Most?
Write down your care choices in a Personal Directive(Living Will).
3. Talk About Your Care.
Talk with your clinicians and put your plan into action.
This tool kit includes simple instructions and a downloadable Health Care Proxy and Personal Directive (Living Will).
Next Steps Tool Kit
1. Build on Your Plan
Talk with family & clinicians about your goals to stay healthy & live well.
2. Update and Add Documents
Update your plan and add documents about personal and medical choices.
3. Get Better Care
Talk to your care providers as your health needs change.
This tool kit includes handy discussion guides and information on a Durable Power of Attorney, Comfort Care/Do Not Resuscitate Order (CC/DNR) and Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST) form.
Translated Documents & Multilingual Videos
Consumers and care providers can download free translated planning documents and view multi-lingual videos.
Health Care Proxy in 14 languages:
Multi-lingual Videos: Sharing Personal Stories
Ways to Create, Store and Share Your Plan
Here are a few ways you can complete, store, revise and share your documents. Be sure to share a copy of your documents with your Health Care Agent, and with your primary care physician to place your documents in your electronic medical record (EMR).
• Fill-out a Paper Document: Download, print & fill-out a paper copy inEnglish and multiple languages. Learn more.
• Fill-In PDF Document: Use the fill-able pdf documents; download and print a paper copy. Learn more.
• On-line Documents & Storage: Create your Health Care Proxy and Personal Directive on-line through Cake, share with others, update & store documents. Learn more.
• Screen reader accessible: Use screen reader and fill-able online documents. Learn more.
Live Webinars: Start a Conversation and Make a Plan
Gather your group for an informational, interactive webinar. We offer a consumer webinar focused on helping adults in your community, and two health care providers webinars to help engage adults in planning conversations. Everyone is welcome to join a free consumer webinar open to the public!
Now's the Time! Make Your Own Health Care Plan
It's never been more important to make a plan and write down your care choices in a MA Health Care Proxy and Personal Directive. It helps your family and health care providers know what you want for care if you become ill, even for a short while.
This fun and informative webinar reviews the step-by-step Getting Started Tool Kit and opens to door to interactive questions and comments.
For HCM Partners and Community/ Health Care Groups: Schedule a joint webinar for adults in your community. Learn more.
FOR HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS
Proactive Planning Conversations From Simple to Serious Illness
We offer two webinars to help care providers and staff confidently engage adults in proactive health care planning conversations at any phase of health. Choose from:
- "Become a Certified Health Care Planning Ambassador" using the Honoring Choices Getting Started Tool Kit
- "Start Proactive Planning Conversations from Simple to Serious Illness", using Getting Started tool Kit and introducing Ariadne Lab's Serious Illness Conversation Guide.
For All Groups/Organizations: Schedule a joint webinar with Honoring Choices for your staff and colleagues. Learn more.