Your Health Care. Your Choice.
Make a personal plan for better care today and over your lifetime.
Every adult can start a simple conversation to make a personal health care plan. Your plan helps you work in partnership with your community health care professionals, to get the care you want today and over your lifetime.
A good place to start is to think about this-
If you get sick and cannot make health care decisions yourself - even for a short time while you recover-
- Who would you choose as your Health Care Agent, a person you trust to make care decisions for you?
- What would you tell your Health Care Agent about your preferences for the kind of care you want?
- Not able to choose an Health Care Agent? That's Ok. You can write down your care preferences in a Personal Directive.
Everyone can make a plan.
Our Who's Your Agent? Program, a structured approach to health care planning, helps adults take control of their health care decisions and work in partnership with their care providers to get good care. It's easy to do using these two tool kits:
- Getting Started Tool Kit helps you start a simple conversation to make a personal care plan to get good care today.
- Next Steps Tool Kit helps you build on your conversations as your health needs change to get good care over your lifetime.
Who's Your Agent?® Program
Getting Started Tool Kit. It's as easy as 1-2-3!
Everyone can start a simple conversation to make a plan for good care today! Consumers & care providers use the same tool kits for effective conversations.
1. Who's Your Agent?
Choose a Health Care Agent in a Health Care Proxy.
2. What Matters to Me?
Write down your care choices in a Personal Directive (Living Will).
3. Talk About Your Care.
Use our handy conversation guide to put your plan into action.
You can make your personal plan with the Getting Started Tool Kit. This step-by-step guide helps you start a simple conversation to choose a Health Care Agent, tell your Agent and other people important to you about your care preferences, and talk with with your health care providers to get the care you want. You can complete a MA Health Care Proxy and Personal Directive (Living Will).
Not able to choose a Health Care Agent? That's OK. Just start with Step 2 and the Personal Directive (Living Will).
The tool kit includes a free downloadable:
- MA Health Care Proxy form (available in 15 languages),
- MA Personal Directive (Living Will) form;
- I Have a Health Care Proxy wallet card;
- A handy conversation guide to Start a Simple Conversation To Stay Well.
Next StepsTool Kit
Build on your conversations - from simple to serious illness - to update your plan for good care over your lifetime.
1. Build on Your Conversations
Use our handy conversation guides to get the best possible care as your health needs and priorities change.
2. Update & Add Documents
Update your written plan and add new documents to communicate your goals and care choices.
3. Get Better Care
Get the kind of care you want to manage chronic illness and live well with serious illness.
The Next Step Tool Kit helps you build on your planning conversations with your health care providers using the handy conversation guides, update and add to your personal care plan, and work with your care providers to get good care over your lifetime.
The tool kit includes free downloadable-
- Conversation guides series from simple to serious illness for consumers and care providers;
- Information about a Durable Power of Attorney, Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST), and Comfort Care/Do Not Resuscitate Order (CC/DNR) to update and add to your plan;
- Information and tools about specialized care to manage chronic illness and live well with serious illness.
Get Help: Meet the Honoring Choices Partners
Our mission is to empower and inform consumers to take control of their health care decisions and work in partnership with their community health care providers to get good today and over their lifetime. An important part of our mission is to directly support all health care providers, community professionals, faith-based and advocacy groups as Honoring Choices Partners.
The Honoring Choices MA (HCM) Partners Network is a voluntary, collaborative team of hundreds of health care providers, local community organizations, state and membership organizations. All Partners can use our proven Who's Your Agent? Program, a structured approach to health care planning, which includes staff training and useful tool kits. Our Community Partners engage adults in planning conversations and help connect adults to care in their community.
Our shared mission is helping adults get equal access to care planning information, in order to standardize early and on-going planning conversations and improve access to timely, equitable care. The Partners offer many different types of services at every phase of health. Honoring Choices does not refer or recommend any one Partner. Consumers choose what information and services are right for them.
Want to become a Partner? Come join the Honoring Choices Partner Network. It's no cost. We tailor our program to support your organizational mission. Read about the Who's Your Agent? Program for Care Providers & Professionals here.
Meet the Partners
Get Help from the Community Partners
Consumers: Our Community Partners use the Who's Your Agent? Program to help adults start a simple conversation to make a plan, and can often connect to care in your community. Find a Community Partner near you in one of our seven MA regions.
Our Alliance Partners are statewide & national groups who use the Who's Your Agent? Program to train staff to confidently engage adults in conversations, help adults make a plan, and connect to local resources. We work on joint projects for systems change.
Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group
Our Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group, brings together individuals, consumer groups & advocates to elevate the consumer voice and drive the agenda for meaningful program and policy change. Everyone is welcome!
New England Collective
Our New England Healthy Living Collective are leaders in 6 states providing state-specific planning documents and working to improve cross-state care and honoring care choices no matter where you live or travel.
Transform Health Care Planning.
Advance Healthy Equity.
Honoring Choices Massachusetts (HCM) is changing the way we engage in health care planning as a process to get good care TODAY and everyday over your lifetime. Our Who's Your Agent? Program, a structured approach to health care planning based on Massachusetts law, recognizes the right of every individual to direct their care decisions, regardless of age, race, culture, health condition or range of abilities to make decisions.
Every adult, with or without support, can start a simple conversation to express their care choices and preferences with the Getting Started Tool Kit. When ready, adults can proceed at their own pace to build on their conversations with the Next Steps Tool Kit, to help manage changing health needs and chronic illness and live well with serious illness. Both consumers and care providers use the Who's Your Agent? Program's tool kits and conversation guides for effective conversations to help ensure adults can access care that honors their goals and care choices to improve everyday health outcomes and plan for future care.
Guided by diverse consumer voices and the collective expertise of the HCM Partners, we are taking action to transform the planning process to improve health outcomes, address policies and programs to advance health equity, and build more responsive care delivery systems. Here's are some of our exciting initiatives-
- Lifetime Health Care Planning Roadmap: A Guide to Planning at Every Phase of Health
- A trusted source of curated information based on MA law, which includes free downloadable tools and links to useful resources.
- Consumer Health Equity Advisory Group
- Elevating the consumer voice to help set the agenda for meaningful change. Everyone is welcome!
- Living Well with Serious Illness and Complex Care Needs
- A process & planning tools for effective conversations; the MOLST form; update on the POLST Program.
- Guardianship and Alternatives
- 5 Point Checklist to Assess Alternatives and Individual supports
Click on the blue buttons below to read more!