Facilitator Course for Health Care Planning
Become a Health Care Planning Facilitator
The information on this page is outdated. Check back for Fall 2018.
Date: September 28, 2017
Co-hosted by Care Dimensions, 333 Wyman Street, Suite 100 Waltham
5.0 CE Credits Nursing; 5.0 CE Credits Social Work
EARLY BIRD Registration Discount!
The Health Care Planning Facilitator Course helps care professionals enhance their health care planning knowledge and sharpen their communications skills to effectively engage adults in meaningful discussions at every phase of health.
This highly interactive course is exclusively for MA Honoring Choices Partners and those in process of becoming a partner. It builds on your work as a Partner and provides comprehensive information to help you:
- Lead 1-1 health care planning discussions with individuals 18 years old and older;
- Increase your understanding of Massachusetts law and the decision-making authority of competent adults, Health Care Agents, Guardians and caregivers;
- Start effective discussions using our proven 3-Step model and Who’s Your Agent?® Program;
- Utilize the 5 Massachusetts planning documents to assist adults in creating and updating their care plan;
- Assist adults on a serious illness journey, focusing on Palliative Care and MOLST ( Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) discussions;
- Take the lead to educate your staff and host community outreach presentations;
- Broaden your professional community network for referrals and collaborative patient/client care;
- Become an “in-house expert” in your organization to implement & grow an effective, sustainable program.
2017 Course Dates
These well attended and popular courses are offered three times a year in different regions of the state. The course is first come, first serve.
Here are the dates:
- NEXT COURSE: September 28, 8am-12:15, Care Dimensions, WALTHAM.Register Here.
- December Course, TBA.
- April 28, 8:15am-12:30pm, Notre Dame Health Care, Worcester.
Who Can Attend
Care professionals, nurses, health care staff, social workers, clergy, lay leaders, and anyone who engages adults in health care planning discussions and is an Honoring Choices Partner. Partners include Community Partner administration and staff, Alliance Partner member organizations & staff, and in process of becoming a Partner.
Not a Partner yet? It’s simple and no cost – please contact Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org
The 5 hour course requires full completion of a 1 hour e-learning prerequisite of MA planning documents completed prior to class; and a 4 hour in-person class with role playing and application of e-learning information and skills.
The course includes e-learning modules, the in-person class instruction day, the Health Care Planning Facilitator Manual and Partner-only tools and networking opportunities. Continental Breakfast and break snacks served.
$175 per person paid to Honoring Choices for the Facilitator Course, if not seeking CE Credits.
$175 per person paid to Honoring Choices for the Facilitator Course, plus $38 paid to Berkshire AHEC for 5.0 Nursing; 5.0 Social Work Credit Hours.
To obtain credits you simply log on & register at www.berkshireahec.org, pay $38, and your certificates will be mailed directly to you. Read more below for details.
Early Bird Registration: $155 per person open until 8/15. If seeking credits its $155 per person plus $38 for CE Credits.
Group Rate: If you are registering 3 or more providers from one organization, the rate per person is $150.00 for the Facilitator Course. CE Credits remain $38 per person paid to Berkshire AHEC (Instructions below).
To REGISTER and pay on-line for the September 28 Course: Click here
To Register by mail and pay by check: Click here to download the Registration Form
How to Receive Credits
Continuing education credits are now offered for nursing and social workers for a total fee of $38. To obtain CE credits, participants are required to register and pay at the Berkshire AHEC website: www.berkshireahec.org Click “Register” on the homepage and then select the Facilitator Workshop and click “Add” next to the training date/location that you attended. “Continue” to proceed through the registration process. Certificates will be mailed directly to the participant’s address within 4 to 6 weeks after the program. You must register for credits by June 16th. Credits will not be available after this date. This registration is ONLY for CE credits, must complete all requirements for eligibility. REGISTER FOR CREDITS TODAY at www.berkshireahec.org
Social Work: This program has been approved for 5 Social Work Continuing Education hours for re-licensure, in accordance with 258 CMR. Collaborative of NASW and the Boston College and Simmons Schools of Social Work Authorization Number D 72719.
Nursing: This program meets the requirements for nursing contact hours as specified by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing – 244 CMR 5.04.
Successful Completion Requirements: Participants are expected to sign-in and out, attend the entire program, and complete and submit a course evaluation.
- Recognize how to lead 1-1 health care planning discussions with individuals 18 years old and older;
- Describe patient rights under Massachusetts laws and the decisions-making authority of competent adults, Health Care Agents, Guardians and caregivers;
- Explain the 3-Step ‘Explore, Plan, Connect’ health care planning model and Who’s Your Agent? Program and tool kits;
- State 5 Massachusetts planning documents and how to make & update a health care plan;
- Summarize ways to broaden your community network for better referrals & collaborative patient/client care.
Honoring Choices reserves the right to cancel a program due to low registration, speaker illness, or other uncontrollable circumstances. Notice of cancellation will be provided to registrants by phone, as soon as we become aware of the need to cancel. Full refunds will be issued.
For More Information or to Become a Partner:
Contact Ellen DiPaola, email@example.com, 781-642-0454.