Planning Tools and Activity Ideas
6th Annual April Healthcare Decisions Month
Due to the coronavirus we are Planning in Place between March-May. Below are tools, educational materials, and ideas to make your own plan, or host a virtual activity to help everyone make a health care plan.
Everyone Can Make a Health Care Plan
Every competent adult, 18 years old and older, can make their own personal plan. It's simple to do with our signature Who's Your Agent?® program, which offers the Getting Started Tool Kit to start to make your plan, and Next Steps Tool Kit, to build on your plan over your lifetime. You can do-it-yourself or help a friend or family member make a plan.
It's a great time to make a plan. Start by choosing a Health Care Agent. Your Agent has the power to make health care decisions for you if you are unable to, and get you the care you need even for a short period while you recover. The Getting Started Tool Kit makes planning as easy as 1-2-3:
- Who's Your Agent? Appoint a trusted person as your Health Care Agent in a MA Health Care Proxy ( No Agent? No Problem- just start with Step 2);
- What Matters Most? Write down your instructions for care in a MA Personal Directive (Living Will);
- Let's Talk About My Care. Talk with your clinicians to get good care everyday, with the 5 Things to Talk About with Your Care Providers discussion guide.
Download a free The Getting Started Tool Kit
View the Next Steps Tool Kit
Host a virtual activity for staff & community members
Typically the Honoring Choices Partners host over 60 events during our annual celebrations using the event ideas and tools below. This year, our in-person activities are on hold. Anyone can host a virtual activity using the flyers, posters, tool kits below, to help adults in your community make a health care plan.
You can start a "Who's Your Agent?" conversation with family & friends; host a fun event for your community, staff, or employees; or educate care providers as Health Care Planning Ambassadors. We'll help you tailor the free, downloadable tools to your audience and send you 30 minute slide deck for group presentations. Tell us how you are helping adults address the barriers to care by improving access to transportation, nutritious meals, affordable medications, and safe and stable housing. We'll post your activities on our Spring Events Calendar, March - May, so everyone can participate. For more information, Email Ellen, firstname.lastname@example.org
"Who's Your Agent?"
Do-it-yourself. Help others.
Use the Getting Started Tool Kit to choose a Health Care Agent in a Health Care Proxy, and give your Agent the POWER to get you good care in a Personal Directive. You can do-it-yourself, engage adults individually or host a group session. Download the tools for yourself or your group:
"What's in Your Plan?"
Host a community, staff or employee event
Pick a day for a fun & informative presentation. Choose an event theme, add some food, and gather your staff, employees or community members. Start culturally sensitive conversations and use translated documents.
- Information Table: Posters; 8.5 x11; 12 x18;
- Choose a theme & customize a flyer: "What's in your Plan?"; "Pizza & Proxy"; "Pastries & Planning" ; "Lunch & Learn";
- Give attendees the Getting Started Tool Kit or Translated Documents
- 30min. Getting Started Tool Kit Slide Deck.
- See actual events on the calendar below
Become an Ambassador
Educate Care Providers
Join the over 650 strong Ambassador Network! Care providers can become Health Care Planning Ambassadors to confidently help adults complete a Health Care Proxy & Personal Directive. You provide the location; we'll provide the workshop.
More Event Ideas: Collaborating with Partners
We combined the Honoring Choices tools with our Partner's tools for more ways to reach your audience.
Good Talk, Good Tools
- Start a serious illness conversation with co-branded Good Talk posters
- Talk about what matters most and fill in the Good Talk fill-in activity cards; share on social media #ourgoodtalk
- Use the Honoring Choices Getting Started Tool Kit to write down your care choices and what matters most.
Learn More. Joint initiative with MA Coalition for Serious Illness Care
Be Healthy. Live Well
- Learn how your community can meet the needs of adults as they age
- View MA Age- and Dementia Friendly Integration Toolkit,
- View MA Healthy Aging Collaborative
- Make a plan with the Getting Started Tool Kit;
- Use the translated documents for culturally sensitive conversations.
Learn More. Age -and Dementia Friendly MA
2020 SPRING EVENTS CALENDAR
Our 6th Annual Spring Celebration runs March through to June.
Tell us how you are celebrating and we'll post your event on the 2020 Spring Calendar!
To post your event: Email us with the event title (your choice!); date, time and place; and short description with a link to more information. Send to Ellen, email@example.com