Become a Health Care Planning Facilitator
The Health Care Planning Facilitator Course helps care professionals and health care providers enhance their knowledge and sharpen their communications skills to effectively engage adults in meaningful discussions and connect adults & families to person-centered care.
Our Spring courses are generously co-hosted by our Partners, Notre Dame Health Care in Worcester, and Care Dimensions in Watham. NEW: CE Credits 5.0 Nursing; 5.0 Social Workers (pending). This highly interactive & unique course is exclusively for Honoring Choices Partners and those in process of becoming a partner. It provides comprehensive information to help you:
- Lead 1-1 health care planning discussions with individuals 18 years old and older;
- Increase your understanding of Massachusetts law and the decision-making authority of competent adults, Health Care Agents, Guardians and caregivers;
- Start effective discussions using our proven 3-Step model and Who’s Your Agent? Program;
- Use the 5 Massachusetts planning documents to assist adults in making/updating their plan;
- Increase your knowledge of Palliative Care and MOLST and the discussion guides;
- Educate your staff and host community outreach presentations with new tools & strategies;
- Broaden your community network for referrals and collaborative patient/client care;
- Become an “in-house expert” to implement & grow an effective, sustainable program.
2017 Course Dates: These well attended and popular courses are offered four times a year in different regions of the state. The course is first come, first serve. Here are the dates:
- April 28, 8:15am-12:30pm,Notre Dame Health Care, Worcester.Register Here.
- May 17, 8am-12:15,Care Dimensions, Waltham.Register Here.
- October & December Course, TBA. Registration opens June 1.
Who Can Attend: Care professionals, nurses, health care staff, social workers, clergy, lay leaders, and anyone who engages adults in health care planning discussions and is an Honoring Choices Partner. Partners include Community Partner administration and staff, Alliance Partner member organizations & staff, and groups in process of becoming a Partner.
Not a Partner yet? It’s simple and no cost – please contact Ellen at email@example.com
Course Requirements: The 5 hour course requires full completion of a 1 hour e-learning prerequisite of MA planning documents completed prior to class; and a 4 hour in-person class with role playing and application of e-learning information and skills.
Course Fee: The course includes e-learning modules, the in-person class instruction day, the Health Care Planning Facilitator Manual and Partner-only tools and networking opportunities. Continental Breakfast and break snacks served.
$195 per person paid to Honoring Choices, if not seeking CE Credits.
$195 per person paid to Honoring Choices, plus $38 paid to Berkshire AHEC for 5.0 Nursing; 5.0 Social Work Credit Hours. To obtain credits you simply log on & register at www.berkshireahec.org, pay $38, and your certificates will be mailed directly to you. Read more below for details.
To REGISTER and pay $195 on-line. Click on the desired course below:
For the April 28 Course: Click here
For the May17 Course: Click here
To Register by mail and pay $195 by check: Click here to download the Registration Form
How to Receive Credits
Continuing education credits are now offered for nursing and social workers for a total fee of $38. To obtain CE credits, participants are required to register and pay at the Berkshire AHEC website: www.berkshireahec.org Click “Register” on the homepage and then select the Facilitator Workshop and click “Add” next to the training date/location that you attended. “Continue” to proceed through the registration process. Certificates will be mailed directly to the participant’s address within 4 to 6 weeks after the program. You must register for credits by June 16th. Credits will not be available after this date. This registration is ONLY for CE credits, must complete all requirements for eligibility. REGISTER FOR CREDITS TODAY @ www.berkshireahec.org
Social Work: Application for social work continuing education credits has been submitted to the Collaborative of NASW and the Boston College and Simmons Schools of Social Work.
Nursing: This program meets the requirements for nursing contact hours as specified by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing – 244 CMR 5.04.
Successful Completion Requirements: Participants are expected to sign-in and out, attend the entire program, and complete and submit a course evaluation.
- Recognize how to lead 1-1 health care planning discussions with individuals 18 years old and older;
- Describe patient rights under Massachusetts laws and the decisions-making authority of competent adults, Health Care Agents, Guardians and caregivers;
- Explain the 3-Step ‘Explore, Plan, Connect’ health care planning model and Who’s Your Agent? Program and tool kits;
- State 5 Massachusetts planning documents and how to make & update a health care plan;
- Summarize ways to broaden your community network for better referrals & collaborative patient/client care.
Cancellation: Honoring Choices reserves the right to cancel a program due to low registration, speaker illness, or other uncontrollable circumstances. Notice of cancellation will be provided to registrants by phone, as soon as we become aware of the need to cancel. Full refunds will be issued.
For More Information or to Become a Partner: Contact Ellen DiPaola, firstname.lastname@example.org, 781 642-0454.